Remember those t-shirts from the 80’s that had the saying, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy.” They were so simple, but they made so much sense. In life, we worry about things that really we have no control over. We worry about issues that in essence have nothing to do with us. I think in this world it’s so easy to be down. As soon as you turn on the news you’re hearing about either wars, or natural disasters that are taking over our planet, and many times we can surround ourselves with people who many not always want the best for us, or they think they do want the best for us, but they tear us down. Maybe they don’t mean to. But there are ways we can be happy-even when the world is telling us we shouldn’t be. Here are some ways that I have found have helped me keep sane happy.
1) I don’t take myself too seriously– There are times in life to be serious, but don’t go around life taking everything too serious. Like for some reason, I tend to trip when I wear heels, all the time, and always in front of a huge crowd. I find it funny, but most people would probably be mortified. Not me. My motto is: “If i trip, I trip, it happens to the best of us.” Life is too short to go around taking yourself too serious. Laugh at the mistakes you make some time.
2) Laugh a lot – I am the first to admit that I love to laugh. Now I’m not saying walk around the street like a giggling idiot, but don’t be afraid to laugh. Laughing keeps you young (and keeps those pesky wrinkles away) and when I laugh, man I laugh. My girlfriend always shushes me when I laugh because she says I do it too loud. But why hold in your happiness-that’s no fun.
3) Don’t take things too personally – The reporting business is one of those businesses where people will tear you down in a second. Literally you can come in thinking you look amazing, and if you get a snarky casting person, immediately they may tell you, you’re not good enough, your clothes are ugly or you sound like a man. I tend not to take it personally at all. If they are being super snarky, I just attribute it to them having a bad day and venting on me. But I don’t take it personally. Taking things too personally will not only make you unhappy but it will also allow peoples thoughts of you to shape your thoughts of yourself-which is super dangerous.
4) Smile – I love to smile and I do it often Again I’m not saying walk around the street like a smiling idiot either, but if someone smiles at you, smile back,and if you see someone that looks down and out, smile at them. Your smile may change their whole day. Smiling makes you happier.
5) Keep this in your head: You’re amazing – When I wake up every morning, I tell myself this. And when I’m feeling bad, (because yes it does happen to me too) I remind myself of things I have done in my life that have been pretty cool. And if I can’t think of anything, I call my family and friends who for some reason seem to think I’m a lot more amazing than I think I am. You’re amazing, and that’s it. Tell yourself that often, You will believe it, remember that.
6) Keep yourself looking great: Although you may think this is unimportant, this is actually really important, probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself. When you put time and energy into your appearance, you will feel amazing
7) Go after your dreams – I’ve met so many people in my life who have chosen to be complacent. They work jobs they hate because they believe that’s just the way life is or they believe that they are not good enough or they just don’t have time to follow their dreams. That’s nonsense. You are good enough, and you do have time-just make the time. But don’t live a life where you are working to making someone else’s dreams come true, because that’s just a miserable life, and stop believing you’re not good enough. You are not only good enough, you are BETTER THAN GOOD ENOUGH. You were meant to be EXTRAORDINARY, not ordinary.
8) Help Someone– I am a huge believer in helping other people. In this life many people are way too threatened by others. The reality is, there is room enough for all of us to succeed. I truly believe the more people I help, the more good things will happen in life. So don’t be afraid to help someone do better, because believe me it will come back to you.
I hope this helps you.
What are some ways that keep you happy?